Lover Eternal by J.R. Ward


Mary has had more then her share of hardships. She spent a large portion of her adult life watching her mother succumb to a long, cruel, debilitating sickness. Close on the heels of her mother's death she was diagnosed with Leukemia and had to endure the pain, suffering and disfigurement that accompanied her fight with cancer. Two years later, her illness has returned, bringing with it another war for Mary to wage.

Rhage is the stunningly handsome, physically flawless warrior of the brotherhood. Within him lives a beast with an insatiable appetite that is only quelled by chaos, carnage, blood and sex. For a century Rhage has not only battled the forces that threaten his people but has endured the ceaseless struggle of controlling the beast within.

In this second tale of the Black Dagger Brotherhood, two hardened, battle-weary warriors come together in their biggest campaign yet- the fight to save each other. Cue music...

Ok so the cheese factor was a little high in this one and the ending was blotched and rushed but I'll forgive Ward anything because she only did what I silently asked her to do which was write another suspenseful, action packed, romantic story in which there is phenomenal vampire sex. I like her take on vampire legend and lore. The rituals of the brotherhood and the character of the Scribe Virgin are a nice change from your standard issue "undead blood suckers who prey on cheerleaders" stereotype. Even Rice wrote her vampires as dirty evil playboys who just roamed around sucking on people. Ward's vampires are a very spiritual, ritualistic people....who just so happen to listen to rap music and drink beer.

I liked this book but I didn't love it. Something was just missing. I'm not sure what- maybe it was the over-description of Rhage's hawtness that occurred every 2 pages. It became a little repetitive. I did have a little cry when Rhage viewed Mary's treatment scars. Reality kind of crept in during that scene and I say kudos to Ward for doing that.

Still unquestionably devoted to Ward but while I wasn't disappointed in this book, I wasn't overwhelmed by it either.

3 thoughts?:

Natascha De Marco June 14, 2009 at 2:24 PM  

Im a fan of J.R Ward, and I get what u say, this one wasn't my favorite either( Im a Wrath kinda girl)

Im dying to read Lover Avenged!

www.bloodybookaholic.blogspot.com

Mandi June 14, 2009 at 3:50 PM  

"I'm not ok, Rhage..I'm not ok"

That is my fav line from this book (not sure if that is actual words..lol)

Anyway..I loved Mary. JR Ward's books are def filled with a bit of cheese..but it is the kind that you become addicted to. You still have some good people to meet!

Laura @ A Jane of All Reads June 14, 2009 at 6:09 PM  

Ms. Cullen- Wrath. Is. Seriously. Hawt.

Mandi- Wouldn't trade the cheese for anything. These books rock. Got a little bit of hero worship going on for Ward. I'm on book three right now and Zsadist...oh muh gawd!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

So they say...

About Me

My Photo
Laura @ A Jane of All Reads
I read excessively and hoard books like a greedy dragon. Theoretically, I also plan to use them to barricade myself against the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

I accept books for review as long as they're good ones. Review Policy
View my complete profile

Appreciation

Because you took the time to visit, this is for you:

Blog contents © A Jane of All Reads 2011. Blogger Theme by NymFont. "Jane" avatar by Parajunkee.