Hunted by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast


Last time on Days of Our..er...wait...wrong post.

But doesn't it annoy you when you have to spend the first 6 minutes of any new episode of a series recapping what happened last week? I get so angry because I'm thinking "I KNOW WHAT HAPPENED YOU MORON I WATCHED THE SHOW!" and now they are taking away precious new episode time showing scenes from the old episode.

That's how I feel with HoN. You are guaranteed a lengthy recap at the start of each book in the series. You'll find out what happened most recently and often as far back as what took place in the first book in the series. You'll also be reintroduced to each and EVERY character in the story- Team Cast feels we all suffer from short term memory loss. Maybe they were trying to make the story as accessible as possible to increase revenue- a thing that Team Cast refers to in this book when Kramisha says "Thanks, I told you I'm gonna be an author. A famous, rich one with major gold card power." It's funny, when I think of becoming rich I think of winning the lottery, finding oil in the backyard, coming up with the next computer gadget...marrying a plastic surgeon...all those things come to mind but never an author. I know, I know, authors do get rich and famous- but mostly they are just creative, imaginative people who write books. So were they being sarcastic or are their heads really so far up their own asses that they believe their own hype? Ok, that was mean. I'm sorry, these books are just awful and it really isn't often that they come across as taking themselves too seriously, most of the time I even feel that they are in on the joke but every now and then I just can't help but scream "ARE YOU FREAKIN' KIDDING ME!?"

It's probably best that this series and I are parting company at this time. We don't have to be friends but it would be nice if we could be "polite" to each other when we pass in the bookstore. No awkward moments, or hiding behind shelves.

All that having been spewed, I have to say this book wasn't half bad (the rest of the knee slapper goes "It wasn't half good either!") and I'd actually like to give credit where it's due: Team Cast, and I'm going to assume that it was mostly the work of P.C. since she's the one that writes the series about the goddesses, put a lot more emphasis in the lore and legend that's a part of this story than she has previously. The mingling of the Cherokee legends with the darker teaching of the vampires' Goddess Nyx bordered on poetic. The effect was a much more magical feeling throughout this last book than in some of the earlier ones. It may have a lot to do with the fact that Zoey is forced to actually act like a High Priestess now that everyone is serving her as one. Despite the ongoing boy drama (she still be a ho) Zoey reached a new level of maturity and I was rather proud of her. Oh and I am definitely Team Stark! He has so much more appeal than Erik, Heath or even Loren ever had.

Now I'm not going to write a summary of this one, you would have to follow the story to even get the gist of what's happening (and/or read the first ten pages) and I would hate to give something away to anyone reading it. Don't get me wrong, as difficult as it might be to understand, what with all my blatant HoN flaming, I have really enjoyed the series. They are very entertaining, imaginative and in some places, cute. I just haven't been able to form a single attachment to any of the characters because the writing is well...horrid but I would recommend them for anyone who doesn't care how a story's written just as long as it is an easy, suspenseful, light read that doesn't require any kind of commitment from the reader.

I am aware that Tempted the sixth HoN book comes out in October of this year. Will I read it? You betcha. I will indeed and love/loathe every second of it.

3 thoughts?:

Mandi June 22, 2009 at 7:47 PM  

I just read Marked two days ago. I am posting my review next week. The review is not good. I felt the book was written to a very juvenile audience. Glad to see I am not alone. I don't think I will make it to book two..unless Aphrodite comes back to cause trouble. She was at least half interesting. If I have to hear the name Stevie Rae one more time, I may start to gag.

I will stop now ;)

Mandi June 22, 2009 at 7:48 PM  

Have your read Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz? I am reading it now and I like it! 1/2 way through.

Natascha De Marco June 22, 2009 at 10:29 PM  

Hmm I get your point, I thought this book was rather a band-aid to the series, a bridge to the next book :S

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

So they say...

About Me

My Photo
Laura @ A Jane of All Reads
I read excessively and hoard books like a greedy dragon. Theoretically, I also plan to use them to barricade myself against the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

I accept books for review as long as they're good ones. Review Policy
View my complete profile

Appreciation

Because you took the time to visit, this is for you:

Blog contents © A Jane of All Reads 2011. Blogger Theme by NymFont. "Jane" avatar by Parajunkee.