The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong



Chloe sees dead people. Now you know, even though you've seen The Sixth Sense a hundred times that "I see dead people" still SCARES THE CRAP OUT OF YOU. Chloe's sight lands her in Lyle House, a home for mentally ill teens where it quickly becomes apparent that she's not the only one whose condition is far from textbook. As Chloe and her housemates begin to discover their extraordinary similarities, they realize that it isn't coincidence that they all ended up in the same group home together. Lyle House holds a dark, unthinkable secret far more astonishing than their own conditions and the secret threatens their very lives.

This book could have been REALLY scary because the premise was absolutely terrifying. I think it's a testimony to just what a great writer Armstrong is that she was able to reign in and simply tell her story, minus the horror she could have written. How terrifying it must have been for Chloe, to have no one believe her, lock her away and make her question her own sanity. I can't even imagine what it must feel like to not be believed and to be abandoned and betrayed. Not to mention that she's seeing DEAD PEOPLE, which isn't exactly fun either.

Very quick read because I wasn't able to put it down once I started. By far the best cliff hanger ending I've read yet. I'm lucky to have discovered this book after the sequel had been published because I know that had I read it when it was released I would have gone crazy waiting for the next book.

4 thoughts?:

Alaine May 18, 2009 at 8:31 AM  

I just read both this book and the next and loved them. Can't wait for the third book. I went on and read Bitten after these because I loved Kelley Armstrong so much after reading these.

Anonymous May 18, 2009 at 2:18 PM  

I cannot wait to read this one!

Teddyree May 30, 2009 at 7:50 AM  

I'm a huge Kelley Armstrong fan. I've read Bitten & Stolen & I've just finished The Summoning & cannot wait to start on The Awakening (what a cliffhanger!!) Enjoyed your review :-)

Sandy August 6, 2009 at 3:51 PM  

I couldn't put The Summoning down either!
I wonder if anything will happen between Chloe and Derek? :D

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

So they say...

About Me

My Photo
Laura @ A Jane of All Reads
I read excessively and hoard books like a greedy dragon. Theoretically, I also plan to use them to barricade myself against the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

I accept books for review as long as they're good ones. Review Policy
View my complete profile

Appreciation

Because you took the time to visit, this is for you:

Blog contents © A Jane of All Reads 2011. Blogger Theme by NymFont. "Jane" avatar by Parajunkee.