City of Glass by Cassandra Clare



"The ruined demon towers cast their dull, dead light down onto the moving streets of the city, where things loped and crawled and slunk in the shadows between buildings, like roaches skittering through a dark apartment. The air carried cries and shouts, the sound of screaming, names called on the wind- and there were the cries of demons as well, howls of mayhem and delight, shrieks that pierced the human ear like pain. Smoke rose above the honey-colored stone houses in a haze, wreathing the spires of the Hall of Accords. Glancing up toward the Gard, Alec saw a flood of Shadowhunters racing down the path from the hill, illuminated by the witchlights they carried. The Clave were coming down to battle."

I've had about 2 hours sleep, so as soon as I'm done here I'm going to go pass out. Those of you who have read the series will understand, and those of you who are planning on reading it, be forewarned that this is one of those times when book trumps life and everything has to go on hold (call in sick) until you finish it. I had to finish this book or just about die.

In this third and final installment of the Mortal Instruments series, we are in Idris, in the city of Alicante, home of The Clave, of the Shadowhunters, the warriors of the angels. Since the city's dawning, it has stood, protected by the mysterious, powerful runes that guard the people of the angels, runes that have forever repelled demon entry- but something new threatens the city, something demonic, but not yet a demon. When the safety of their lives is shattered, the people of the Clave must look to new defenses, and accept a compromise they have all long feared...

"How is this to end?
As stories must
when love's denied--with tears and a journey." - Shakespeare in Love

That line came to mind as I was reading, bracing myself for what I just knew was going to happen....

Ms. Clare gave a beautiful gift with the ending of this book. I was prepared for sacrifice, as you should be when faced with something this emotionally involved. In many stories we are given a false fairy tale, which is the true kind, the way the fairies meant them to be, in which you get everything you want at a terrible price.

And here is the part where I can't tell you what happened...I can only urge you (physically push you into the book store) to live in this world for a while.

This was a truly touching, wonderful, heartbreaking, heartmending, agonizing journey and I enjoyed every bit of it. I hate that it's over and that I can't ever go there again for the first time, only go back.

And finally, for those of you who don't know (because I didn't know, and now I do)-


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

So they say...

About Me

My Photo
Laura @ A Jane of All Reads
I read excessively and hoard books like a greedy dragon. Theoretically, I also plan to use them to barricade myself against the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

I accept books for review as long as they're good ones. Review Policy
View my complete profile

Appreciation

Because you took the time to visit, this is for you:

Blog contents © A Jane of All Reads 2011. Blogger Theme by NymFont. "Jane" avatar by Parajunkee.