The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong



****Now I wouldn't read this if you haven't read The Summoning- in fact I wouldn't read anything if you haven't read The Summoning. I'd be marching my happy butt to the book store to pick up The Summoning. ****

This was one of those wonderful reads that you flip the page and suddenly realize you've reached the end. Damn it. I didn't want it to be over. I almost literally ate this book, I couldn't read it fast enough. Kelley Armstrong quite possibly has a serious die hard stalker fan in the making here. Just as soon as I can read Bitten I'll know for sure but she is just amazing. Her story flows perfectly, never a hiccup, never a "WTF" moment, no confusion, no clutter, just straight forward suspense, shock and squeals.

We rejoin Chloe, who is being held by the Edison Group, the team of supernaturals who were running Lyle House. The Edison Group has been carrying on the grand Lyle tradition of conducting experiments on unsuspecting children and using Lyle House as a means of "rehabilitating" those subjects who have had trouble adapting to the experiments. Inhabitants of the Lyle House whose recovery has proven successful are released but those who fail...are terminated. Refusing to be just another case study, Chloe and the boys must find safety, and a way to stop the Edison Group before they too are considered failed experiments.

Armstrong got a bit more descriptive with her ghost summoning scenes here (I'd say this was kind of scary but not sleep-with-the-light-on scary) and while the writing was intense, there was still no gore and guts. Excellently done (again) because too descriptive of a ghost/dead body scene would have thrown me off and disconnected me from my story.

And what's this? Could we maybe have a little lurve something something going on with more than one guy?? Chloe! You vixen you- but then who wouldn't love a girl who can raise an army of the dead.

1 thoughts?:

Teddyree May 30, 2009 at 7:53 AM  

OOh Ooh, can't read your review because I've just started on this one after the 'evil author' cliffhanger with The Summoning.
I'll come back when I'm done LOL

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

So they say...

About Me

My Photo
Laura @ A Jane of All Reads
I read excessively and hoard books like a greedy dragon. Theoretically, I also plan to use them to barricade myself against the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

I accept books for review as long as they're good ones. Review Policy
View my complete profile

Appreciation

Because you took the time to visit, this is for you:

Blog contents © A Jane of All Reads 2011. Blogger Theme by NymFont. "Jane" avatar by Parajunkee.