Marked by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast


I really really didn't want to like this and for a while it looked like I was succeeding.

Zoey has recently been marked as a new vampire by the goddess Nyx and must leave her past behind and take her place at the House of Night, the school where young vampires learn about their new lives. It is in the House of Night that fledgling vampires will complete the physical transformation that will either change them into adult vampires or their bodies will reject the change and they will die. Zoey wants only to fit in like any other student but the goddess has other plans. Zoey is special- or she wouldn't be the star of our show. Destined to one day take her place as High Priestess, Zoey must embrace the powers given her and save the school from the influence of the evil Aphrodite. Yeah you read right.

As I type this, I cringe. But I have to be honest- this book was a lot of fun. Zoey goes from irritating to influential and is supported by a diverse cast of characters that keep things lively and light. This more magical portrayal of vampirism makes for an interesting change. I do wonder if perhaps some might find the combination of vampires and wiccan rites offensive.

This book poked fun at all the teen stereotypes I'd normally mock so it left me without any ammunition. I appreciate that though since to me it shows that Team Cast can recognize the absurdity of their story and nothing moves me more than a book that doesn't take itself too seriously. So yeah, of course I'll read the rest of them. I have no shame.

"I've found that the way a person feels about cats- and the way they feel about him or her in return- is usually an excellent gauge by which to measure a person's character." - Neferet

1 thoughts?:

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read May 17, 2010 at 6:47 AM  

Haha, I love your review. I'm really sceptical about this series, but after reading your review, I must get my hands on it.;)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

So they say...

About Me

My Photo
Laura @ A Jane of All Reads
I read excessively and hoard books like a greedy dragon. Theoretically, I also plan to use them to barricade myself against the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

I accept books for review as long as they're good ones. Review Policy
View my complete profile

Appreciation

Because you took the time to visit, this is for you:

Blog contents © A Jane of All Reads 2011. Blogger Theme by NymFont. "Jane" avatar by Parajunkee.