Waiting on Wednesday (5)



Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill @ Breaking the Spine, in which we share the book that we are anxiously waiting to be released.


Plain Kate by Erin Bow
Published: September 1st 2010 by Arthur A. Levine

The drizzle had broken into patches as they walked. As Drina scooped up the pale sand, Kate found herself standing in the smudge of shadow cast by the deadfall. She had never before noticed the way shadows gave things weight, made them look heavy and real and connected to the ground. Without hers...

She edged into the light.

Her shadow looked strange and thinned. It seemed not cast against the ground, but floating above it, like a fog. What Linay had said was true: No one would notice this, at first. It was just an uneasy little change, like the half-felt movement of a boat that slowly induces a great sickness.


Plain Kate lives in a world of superstitions and curses, where a song can heal a wound and a shadow can work deep magic. As the wood-carver's daughter, Kate held a carving knife before a spoon, and her wooden talismans are so fine that some even call her “witch-blade”: a dangerous nickname in a country where witches are hunted and burned in the square.

For Kate and her village have fallen on hard times. Kate’s father has died, leaving her alone in the world. And a mysterious fog now covers the countryside, ruining crops and spreading fear of hunger and sickness. The townspeople are looking for someone to blame, and their eyes have fallen on Kate.

Enter Linay, a stranger with a proposition: In exchange for her shadow, he’ll give Kate the means to escape the angry town, and what’s more, he’ll grant her heart’s wish. It’s a chance for her to start over, to find a home, a family, a place to belong. But Kate soon realizes she can't live shadowless forever -- and that Linay's designs are darker than she ever dreamed.

10 thoughts?:

Laurel-Rain Snow June 23, 2010 at 7:27 AM  

Sounds very intriguing...

Here's mine:

http://chezraine.wordpress.com/2010/06/23/waiting-on-wednesday-15/

Anonymous June 23, 2010 at 7:35 AM  

I am waiting on this one too!! I have been seeing it around a lot lately :-) Great Pick!!

Anonymous June 23, 2010 at 7:52 AM  

This sounds good and different!

Aimee June 23, 2010 at 8:19 AM  

This sounds fantastic! I had to add it to my tbr pile!

My WoW is here.

Staci June 23, 2010 at 8:56 AM  

This looks great!!

Alayne June 23, 2010 at 9:15 AM  

Looks like a really fun book! Nice pick. My WOW is at The Crowded Leaf.

CHRISTIE June 23, 2010 at 10:26 AM  

This book sounds fun. I’m excited about it too :)

Sandy June 23, 2010 at 11:22 PM  

I'm waiting for this one too! If I ever get it, I'll let you know ;)

Laura @ A Jane of All Reads June 23, 2010 at 11:27 PM  

Pirate- hehe I do so enjoy our Two Person Arc Tours.

Violet June 23, 2010 at 11:34 PM  

I love the sound of this book & had not heard of it until reading your WoW post today. I will be adding Plain Kate to my "To Read" list. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

So they say...

About Me

My Photo
Laura @ A Jane of All Reads
I read excessively and hoard books like a greedy dragon. Theoretically, I also plan to use them to barricade myself against the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

I accept books for review as long as they're good ones. Review Policy
View my complete profile

Appreciation

Because you took the time to visit, this is for you:

Blog contents © A Jane of All Reads 2011. Blogger Theme by NymFont. "Jane" avatar by Parajunkee.