Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern


Genre:: Humor
Pages: 192
Publisher: May 4th 2010 by HarperCollins

When Justin Halpern accepted a job with Maxim.com, he was suddenly free to leave Los Angeles and move in with his girlfriend in San Diego. After three years of doing the long distance thing he arrived at her doorstep, ready to elate her with his "Honey I'm home" only to be unceremoniously dumped. At a loss as to where to go, he tucked tail and went home. Home-home, to his parents.
"You know you can stay here. All I ask is that you pick up your shit so you don't leave your bedroom looking like it was used for a gang bang."

Living at home as an adult can give you an entirely different perspective on your parents and Justin began documenting all the funny crap his cantankerous father came up with. It started out on twitter Sh*t My Dad Says and 1 million followers later it translated into a book deal.
"YOU, a published writer?..Internet don't count. Any asshole can throw shit up on there."

Filled with the wit and wisdom of his very opinionated 74 year old dad, this book is a quick, hilarious read from start to finish. Mr. Halpern's opinions and anecdotes on the surface might seem crass or at times, overly harsh but behind every verbal ass-kicking he gives his son, you can clearly see that there's a lot of love and a great deal of pride.
"Don't think you can't call us unless something big happens. Don't be one of those guys, because those calls, they take a little while to happen...You're trying. You're giving it a go. That's a big deal to me. You may not think things you do mean shit, but remember that they mean shit to me, okay?"

His tough-love and "that's life" teachings are well worth the read and it's OK to admit to yourself that a lot of the things his dad says are things you wish you had the guts to admit.
On My Last-Place Finish in the 50-Yard Dash During Little League Tryouts
"It kinda looked like you were being attacked by a bunch of bees or something. Then when I saw the fat kid with the watch who was timing you start laughing....Well, I'll just say it's never a good sign when a fat kid laughs at you."

On Sportsmanship
"You pitched a great game, you really did. I'm proud of you. Unfortunately, your team is shitty....No, you can't go getting mad at people because they're shitty. Life will get mad at them, don't worry."

3 thoughts?:

Kathryn Rose June 12, 2010 at 12:12 PM  

I follow Justin on Twitter. Some of the things his dad says, I'm tellin' ya... I can't hold in my laughter!

Donna (Bites) June 12, 2010 at 2:11 PM  

While I'm not itching to get the book because, well, it's all on Twitter and I can just check it all out on there, I have read some of it and it's hilarious.

Laura @ A Jane of All Reads June 12, 2010 at 7:42 PM  

Donna- It does contain all the tweets but it also includes some very funny stories that really make you admire him.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

So they say...

About Me

My Photo
Laura @ A Jane of All Reads
I read excessively and hoard books like a greedy dragon. Theoretically, I also plan to use them to barricade myself against the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

I accept books for review as long as they're good ones. Review Policy
View my complete profile

Appreciation

Because you took the time to visit, this is for you:

Blog contents © A Jane of All Reads 2011. Blogger Theme by NymFont. "Jane" avatar by Parajunkee.