Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris



Good morning friends and neighbors. Long time no see. I bet your thinking that in my absence I must have read countless books. Well you're wrong. For nearly three months I've been reading this one. Yeppers.

Anyone care to explain to me how a series with so much action, adventure, love, sex and humor can still manage to bore you to the point of tears?

We join Sookie, our lovable Louisiana, barmaid clairvoyant and her dreamy, if a little dead boyfriend Bill as they scamper off to Dallas to do some mind snooping work for the local vampires there. If you watch the show, this would be the part where we meet Godric and Barry (bellhop who can also read minds) and we take a tour of the Fellowship of the Sun's "church". That's about where the similarities stop. HBO's version is far more entertaining than the overly long description of Sookie's church going ensemble and subsequent outfits. Godric isn't interesting or cute, or even present for the most part. At the tail end we have the maenad orgy which admittedly was much more interesting on paper than this season's last two episodes would like you to believe.

Shame on me, I'm taking for granted the fact that a lot of you are following the show when you might have come here for an actual book review. This book was incredibly boring. That said, the first one wasn't and I'm not forming any preconceived notions about the third one because one dull book aside, Harris is a VERY good writer. The stories are hilarious, especially if you're from the south and able to laugh at our own ridiculousness and she can certainly dream up some original stuff (take that Twat Meyer), even if she does appear to be a bit long winded. I can also forgive that since she is from Mississippi and none of us ever really get to the point here.

Read this if you're planning on reading the series. Have to reach point B before you can go to C- but if you are happy with your True Blood viewing experience and able to leave it on screen, skip this because it really isn't providing the detail or insight I was looking for.

2 thoughts?:

Natascha De Marco November 9, 2009 at 5:49 PM  

Aw, sucks you didnt like it. I loved it, didn't find it boring, and it is much much better than the HBO series.

I cannot wait for the next book. ^^

L November 10, 2009 at 7:37 PM  

I love the HBO series, but I haven't read the books yet. I just wanted to let you know that I gave you an award over at my blog! http://hookedonyabooks.blogspot.com/2009/11/bunch-of-awards-d.html

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

So they say...

About Me

My Photo
Laura @ A Jane of All Reads
I read excessively and hoard books like a greedy dragon. Theoretically, I also plan to use them to barricade myself against the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

I accept books for review as long as they're good ones. Review Policy
View my complete profile

Appreciation

Because you took the time to visit, this is for you:

Blog contents © A Jane of All Reads 2011. Blogger Theme by NymFont. "Jane" avatar by Parajunkee.