The No Kill Book Shelter Opens Today!


The No Kill Book Shelter for Books I Didn't Like


Just because one person didn't appreciate a book doesn't mean that someone else won't absolutely love it. The books you'll find here in the shelter have been badly neglected and unloved. In some instances they've even been verbally abused. Book violence is a very serious issue, one that we should all do our part to remedy. Support your local No Kill Book Shelter and give a bad book a second chance.

Books currently living in the shelter:



The adoption process is as follows:

1. Submit an application for adoption by leaving a comment on this post that includes: Your name, email address and blog site. This condition is not negotiable. You must have a valid website address in order to insure that our adoptees are given a good home. This step will award you 1 adoption point. (+1)
2. Support your local No Kill Book Shelter by posting about this adoption on your website. This entitles you to another adoption point. (+1)
3. The adoption agency would like to know under what living conditions the adoptee will reside. Describe the bed (or shelf) that you plan to give to your new bouncing baby book. One adoption point(+1)

Two responsible, caring, screened families will be chosen and eligible to adopt the unloved book of their choice. First winner picks first....duh...and so on. Deadline for application is December 8th and I will announce winners on the 9th so not much time!

Books are available for adoption in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico (I did that just for you) only. Not that I don't think they wouldn't be perfectly happy in France or Zimbabwe, but I just bought a house and I'm broke :)

In case you're wondering or yelling at the screen, why only blog/web sites can enter- the purpose of this, not just the give away but the all encompassing "this" is books, and sharing what we think about the books we've read. If you are a book blogger and you win a contest there is more of a chance that you'll post your own book thoughts and thus the circle of book life goes on. It's rather anti-climatic if the book is won and we never get to hear anything about it again.

If you do not want to post your email in comments, you may tell me privately at lifeafterjane@gmail.com.

Edit: In all fairness I have to say The Crimson Petal and the White is complete and utter crap and you shouldn't feel too bad if you adopt it and end up hating it too.

26 thoughts?:

Eleni November 25, 2009 at 9:03 AM  

I love this concept of giving away books for adoption - very cute & creative idea!

+1 My name is Eleni / My e-mail: lafemmereaders@yahoo.com / My blog: http://lafemmereaders.blogspot.com
+1 My adoptee will have a nice comfy black four shelf bookcase to reside on. It will have many Young Adult friends to keep my new baby book company. I will take great care of it and will keep him/her looking crisp and pretty! Every baby book needs a home, even if it has been abandoned. :)

Thank you!
-Eleni

Zombie Girrrl November 25, 2009 at 9:16 AM  

+1
Name: Zombie Girrrl
E-mail: zombiegirrrl21@aol
URL: CrackinSpines.blogspot.com

+1
Posted: I advertised your lovely book shelter here!

+1
Home: My new baby book will have many siblings who will accept and support it and will live on a shelf full of love. The baby might even get to see the world someday, as I never like leaving my little ones at home with a sitter when I travel.
Mine may be a large family, but all my books recieve the individual attention that they deserve. I've yet to walk away from one of my own children when they were trying to tell me a story.
Thank you for the opportunity to offer an abandoned book a loving home! And thank you for taking my application into consideration.

Sincerely,
Zombie Girrrl

Jessica B November 25, 2009 at 9:49 AM  

1. Name: Jessica Secret
shutupjessicasreading @ gmaildotcom
shutupimreading.blogspot.com

2. Do sidebars count? If so: shutupimreading.blogspot.com (+1)

3. The book I receive for adoption will live amonst countless other books as playmates, and will spend most of its time sleeping an a lovely wooden shelf, or visiting others bookshelves.(+1)

Kris November 25, 2009 at 10:22 AM  

+1 Kris
ksg_amg(at)yahoo.com
http://thecajunbooklady.blogspot.com/
+1 posted here
http://thecajunbooklady.blogspot.com/
+1 If I should happen to be picked as an adopted mom my new book would live on a beutifully handmade 25 year old bookshelf. He/She would have the company of many other lovely books. Once read he/she would go on to live happily forever in a blog post!

Orchid November 25, 2009 at 11:23 AM  

Orchid
hauntingorchid (at) aol (dot) com
The Haunting of Orchid Forsythia

If chosen my new book would live in a three story pine bookcase. It would be surrounded by many neighbors and a large extended family in neighboring buildings. I have been through the adoption process many times before, for a reference contact my used bookstore.
Thank you,
Orchid

throuthehaze November 25, 2009 at 1:42 PM  

+1 Raelena
throuthehaze at gmail dot com
http://throuthehaze-reads.blogspot.com/

+1 If chosen my new book would live in my enormous metal and glass enclosed bookcase with many other wonderful books.

Melissa (Books and Things) November 25, 2009 at 3:06 PM  

+1 Melissa from Books and Things
http://melissawatercolor.blogspot.com
mel_caterpillar (at) yahoo (dot) com

+1 Will reside in my bedroom amongst a whole lot of other books for friends.

I also am currently placing a book to a new home at my site, so the circle will go on with me. :)

Stormi November 25, 2009 at 5:00 PM  

What a cute idea!

My name is Stormi my blog is at http://writesthoughts.blogspot.com and I would love to adopt one of your books.

I just recently bought a new shelf for books I need to read and I would love to put a adopted book on this shelf.

Thanks,
Stormi
booklady2007[at]gmail[dot]com

Katie November 27, 2009 at 3:25 PM  

Name: Katie
Email: katiesbookshelf@ymail.com
Blog: katiesbookshelf1111.blogspot.com

I posted about it here: http://katiesbookshelf11.blogspot.com/2009/11/no-kill-book-shelter.html

I have a nice sturdy oak bookshelf that my books lounge on. If I'm allowed to adopt a book, it will be much read, loved, and always have lots of other books to play with.

titania86 November 27, 2009 at 4:22 PM  

+1 Name: Elizabeth
e-mail: titania86[at]yahoo.com
blog site: http://titania86-fishmuffins.blogspot.com/

+1 There is a beautiful 5 story green book case that will house this poor neglected book. It will be surrounded by a variety of different types of books, but all of them will greet it with love and comfort.

Shalyn November 28, 2009 at 9:01 AM  

Name: Shalyn
Email: shaljg85@gmail.com
Blog: http://pinkladyapple.blogspot.com

I have a beautiful old bookcase that now has a fresh coat of tangerine paint on it in my bedroom with a warm and welcome spot waiting for a new book. There are plenty of other books and a old loving rabbit to keep it company, and of course I will be making sure it feels loved and accepted.

in which a girl reads November 28, 2009 at 9:27 PM  

Wow, this is such a cute contest! Love the "No Kill Book Shelter" concept--most original contest I've seen yet :)
+1
Name: choco
Email: chocowrites@gmail.com
Blog: http://inwhichagirl.blogspot.com/
+1 The book will most likely reside in my overfilled bookshelf--light brown,as tall as the wall, and top shelf filled with dolls it can play with (I haven't redecorated my room since I was 8). *Hopefully* it won't end up in a book pile.

Cherry November 29, 2009 at 3:28 AM  

I guess I don't count... I'm an ex-offender. I slammed a book (http://cherrymischievous.blogspot.com/2009/11/witch-wizard_21.html) sometime ago.

Name: Cherry Mischievous
Email: mischivusfairy-inbox12 [at] yahoo [dot] com
url: http://cherrymischievous.blogspot.com

Supporting the adoption program here: http://contests-freebies.blogspot.com/2009/11/no-kill-book-shelter.html

We need a rehabilitation center as well for ex-offenders like me to prevent re-offending!

*I like playing devil sometimes* :) I really don't count, I'm in the UK, just can't help playing devil. *sigh*

Cherry November 29, 2009 at 3:30 AM  

And that was comment #13 as well! What a coincidence!

Laura Hartness November 29, 2009 at 6:49 AM  

You are so cute. I love your concept here. But I understand what you mean-- I love my books and hate to see them mistreated, too!

Name: Laura Hartness
Email: CalicoCritic at gmail dot com
Web: http://CalicoCritic.blogspot.com

I posted on my website, both in a blog post and in the Giveaways sidebar.

My book of choice (which would be Gregory Maguire's "Mirror Mirror") would be given a good and loving home. I always treat my books with care, doing my best to keep the covers and spines in good condition, especially if they're in the more delicate paperback version. "Mirror Mirror" would also not be alone on my shelf, as it will have a buddy on the shelf, Maguire's "Wicked". So, "Wicked" will be there for "Mirror Mirror" to show it around and meet the other members of my large bookshelf community.

Thank you so much for your care and concern for our literary friends. Let's never let a book go uncared for or unloved!

Laura

Cherry November 29, 2009 at 8:22 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cherry November 29, 2009 at 8:25 AM  

Here is another evidence of my offences which convicted me (I think): http://cherrymischievous.blogspot.com/2009/10/servant-awakening.html

Just letting you know that I keep visiting your blog, LAJ :)

Mandy November 29, 2009 at 9:30 AM  

The No Kill Book Shelter Adoption Form:

Applicant's Name: Mandy
Applicant's E-mail address: bratdownstairs@yahoo.com
Applicant's Blog URL: mandycanread.blogspot.com

Does the applicant support The No Kill Book Shelter?

Yes, I've put a billboard advertisement for the NKBS up:
http://mandycanread.blogspot.com/2009/11/no-kill-book-shelter.html

If chosen, what will be the adopted book's living condition?

The baby will sleep on a nice cozy shelf with some other friends her age. During play time she may be on my bed, my bedside table, in a child carrying device with me while im at the institute for learning, or even visiting one of her Aunts' houses for a week or two to play with them.

Suzanne Yester November 29, 2009 at 9:56 AM  

What a wonderful idea! Why shouldn't a book get a second chance?! Not everyone likes sugar in their coffee, right?! OK, so here's my application:

Applicant's name: Suzanne ( Chick with Books)
Applicant's email address: quzy at mac dot com
Applicant's Blog URL: www.chickwithbooks.blogspot.com

I Support The No Kill Book Shelter! I posted a link on my sidebar about The No Kill Book Shelter! +1

What will the living conditions be for the new adoptee?
Due to the delicate nature of the adoptee, if I'm chosen to bring home the baby, a nice cozy place on my headboard will be provided. Plenty of sunshine and warmth. During the day the baby will be watched by BJ, the cute dog who also resides in my home. +1

Patricia November 29, 2009 at 10:05 AM  

I love this idea! It's great! And I love that it's available for Puerto Rico since I live there.

+1
Name: Patty
Email: yayreads@hotmail.com
URL: yayreads.blogspot.com

+1
URL blog post: http://yayreads.blogspot.com/2009/11/no-kill-book-shelter.html

+1
Living Conditions:
The adoptee will live in a nice air-conditioned room with dozens and dozens of friends it can play with. It will occasionally sit by my bedside and even fall asleep in the nice warm cozy bed. There will be human friends who appreciate it and love it as much as I will.

Ellz November 29, 2009 at 10:40 AM  

+1 Elie N
zenfoxflowerATyahooDOTcom
http://ellzreadz.blogspot.com/

I am posting this on my Wed newz post, I will come back with a link.

+1 The sweet book will find a home amoung many friends of diverse backgrounds. The lovely shelf has a wonderful view of the blue sky, folliage next door for clean air and a stuffed animal for warmth.

If I am the recipient of this lost sweetie, I will be sure to spread the word about what lies within its covers.

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) November 29, 2009 at 3:34 PM  

This is a great idea for a contest,and yes, there are lots of books one person might not like and another person will adore!

+1 Patti S.
pspinney AT cox DOT net
www.sleeplessinneworleans2.blogspot.com

+1 My adopted book will be able to chose their own spot on any of the 4 shelves next to my bed. In case it's afraid of the dark I will be right there to offer comfort!

Dani. November 29, 2009 at 4:28 PM  

Woah. Kudos to you for starting this, its a great idea!

+1:
Dani Samson
lightningstreak123@comcast.net
http://danidlion.blogspot.com

+1:
The home for the adoptee (if I get it) will be housed on my new red IKEA zig zagged shelf above my bed. It shall be among other books I want to read and they can become its new friends and family, along with myself. Also, no light it shown directly at it so it safe from light damage, but if it is afraid of the dark there is still enough light to see clearly, and me and the other books will be there for it!

-Dani.

Lawral the Librarian November 29, 2009 at 6:32 PM  

+1: Lawral W
lwornek(at)gmail(dot)com
lawral.blogspot.com

+1: My adopted book will have its choice of 3 lovely IKEA bookcases in my friendly home or a prime spot on my antique dresser along with all of my other must-read-right-now adoptees.

Thanks for offering up the books that aren't to your taste!

Kari Olson December 3, 2009 at 11:34 PM  

Hey I nominated you for an award over at my blog.

http://agoodaddiction.blogspot.com/2009/12/awards-my-first-and-4-in-one-day-wee.html

Celticlady's Reviews December 8, 2009 at 7:35 PM  

I support my local Shelter... what a great idea!!

I would like to adopt any one of the books that need a good home but would prefer Guinevere . My home is humble, nothing fancy but an adopted book would be given all the care and love it deserves...

CelticLady
momkelly2003@yahoo.com

I posted my ad on my blog here:http://lifeafterjane.blogspot.com/2009/09/no-kill-book-shelter-opens-today.html
http://www.celticladysramblings.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

So they say...

About Me

My Photo
Laura @ A Jane of All Reads
I read excessively and hoard books like a greedy dragon. Theoretically, I also plan to use them to barricade myself against the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

I accept books for review as long as they're good ones. Review Policy
View my complete profile

Appreciation

Because you took the time to visit, this is for you:

Blog contents © A Jane of All Reads 2011. Blogger Theme by NymFont. "Jane" avatar by Parajunkee.