Monday Mini (1)

It's Monday morning, the alarm clock just went off and everything is rush rush rush to get ready for the work week. Unfortunately there's limited time for book talk, and even less for blogging, but we still MUST share some book thoughts before we dive into the day. A Monday Mini is a quick little review typed with one hand, while coffee is made, makeup is applied and car keys are found with the other. Have a great Monday morning!


Radiance by Alyson Noel

Published August 31st 2010 by Square Fish

More at: Goodreads




From Goodreads:Riley Bloom left her sister, Ever, in the world of the living and crossed the bridge into the afterlife—a place called Here, where time is always Now. Riley and her dog, Buttercup, have been reunited with her parents and are just settling into a nice, relaxing death when she's summoned before The Council. They let her in on a secret—the afterlife isn't just an eternity of leisure; Riley has to work. She's been assigned a job, Soul Catcher, and a teacher, Bodhi, a curious boy she can't quite figure out.

Riley, Bodhi, and Buttercup return to earth for her first assignment, a Radiant Boy who's been haunting a castle in England for centuries. Many Soul Catchers have tried to get him to cross the bridge and failed. But he's never met Riley...


I read this because I really thought the concept would make for an interesting spin off from The Immortals series, and admittedly, I was hoping it would help bring me back into the main series. It didn't. It is a very rushed 183 pages about what happened to Riley Bloom after she finally accepted her part in the afterlife. She's basically given a job, and a mentor, with it vaguely implied that doing her job will bring enlightenment. With so little time, and all of it devoted to one main event, in which Riley completes her first assignment, there was very little left for characterization. I couldn't tell you who Riley or anyone else really was and the glimpses that were given didn't inspire me to want to find out.

I did enjoy the feel of it being a child's fantasy novel. Riley got to do silly things that a little girl would dream about doing. Her reward for finishing the job was to get to learn how to fly. I probably would have chosen that one too.

I'm not sure if fans of The Immortals series will enjoy this or not since it is very young middle grade fiction. Worth a shot if you just have to know what Riley's been up to. It features a gorgeous cover and yes, a bit with a dog. Bonus. :)


ARC sent from the publisher. Thank you very much!

4 thoughts?:

Audra October 18, 2010 at 8:59 AM  

Love the idea of mini reviews!

Literature for Lunch October 18, 2010 at 4:48 PM  

This is a really cute feature! I love how you just get a taste of the book. :) Happy Monday!

Leanna Elle October 23, 2010 at 8:41 AM  

I thought Radiance was cute for younger readers, but I'm not so sure that fans of the Immortals will be into it. It's definitely one for the younger reader only!

brandileigh2003 October 25, 2010 at 8:14 AM  

I thought it was cute, but not all it could be. Thanks for the review

Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

So they say...

About Me

My Photo
Laura @ A Jane of All Reads
I read excessively and hoard books like a greedy dragon. Theoretically, I also plan to use them to barricade myself against the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

I accept books for review as long as they're good ones. Review Policy
View my complete profile

Appreciation

Because you took the time to visit, this is for you:

Blog contents © A Jane of All Reads 2011. Blogger Theme by NymFont. "Jane" avatar by Parajunkee.