Follow Friday (2)



Happy Follow Friday! I'm actually off of work today and I'm probably more excited than I should be! I hope you have a wonderful day and thanks for stopping by!

Before you run off, here are the two books I'm enjoying RIGHT NOW:


Mercury Falls by Rob Kroese
From Goodreads:
Years of covering the antics of End Times cults for The Banner, a religious news magazine, have left Christine Temetri not only jaded but seriously questioning her career choice. That is, until she meets Mercury, an anti-establishment angel who's frittering his time away whipping up batches of Rice Krispy Treats and perfecting his ping-pong backhand instead of doing his job: helping to orchestrate Armageddon. With the end near and angels and demons debating the finer political points of the Apocalypse, Christine and Mercury accidentally foil an attempt to assassinate one Karl Grissom, a thirty-seven-year-old film school dropout about to make his big break as the Antichrist. Now, to save the world, she must negotiate the byzantine bureaucracies of Heaven and Hell and convince the apathetic Mercury to take a stand, all the while putting up with the obnoxious mouth-breathing Antichrist.


Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
From Goodreads:
Centuries ago, when magic still existed in England, the greatest magician of them all was the Raven King. A human child brought up by fairies, the Raven King blended fairy wisdom and human reason to create English magic. Now, at the beginning of the nineteenth century, he is barely more than a legend, and England, with its mad King and its dashing poets, no longer believes in practical magic.

Then the reclusive Mr Norrell of Hurtfew Abbey appears and causes the statues of York Cathedral to speak and move. News spreads of the return of magic to England and, persuaded that he must help the government in the war against Napoleon, Mr Norrell goes to London. There he meets a brilliant young magician and takes him as a pupil. Jonathan Strange is charming, rich and arrogant. Together, they dazzle the country with their feats.

But the partnership soon turns to rivalry. Mr Norrell has never conquered his lifelong habits of secrecy, while Strange will always be attracted to the wildest, most perilous magic. He becomes fascinated by the shadowy figure of the Raven King, and his heedless pursuit of long-forgotten magic threatens, not only his partnership with Norrell, but everything that he holds dear.


This is proving to be the most remarkable of stories. I'm listening to it on audio and constantly having to stop and write down passages and chapters to look up. It's wonderful.

8 thoughts?:

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read October 22, 2010 at 8:13 AM  

I read Susanna Clarke's collection of short stories, "Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories", and loved it! Characters from the novel appear in the stories, so I can imagine that you must be enjoying the audio book. She writes beautifully.

Laura @ A Jane of All Reads October 22, 2010 at 8:17 AM  

Irena- I'll have to pick that up as well as an actual copy of Jonathan Strange. I have notes all over of parts I want to go back and reread. As of right now, I can foresee this book being reread many many times.

The Book Bee October 22, 2010 at 8:35 AM  

Hi,
I have had Jonathan Strange sitting on my tbr pile for to long now as everyone I talk to about it only has positive things to say. I might need to give it and actually read it now.

brandileigh2003 October 22, 2010 at 9:33 AM  

Hopping by from Follow Friday. I am following you and would love it if you follow me back! Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Ginger @ GReads! October 22, 2010 at 10:42 AM  

Hi, just hopping by! Hope you have a great weekend & happy reading!
Ginger @ GReads!

Unknown October 22, 2010 at 1:54 PM  

Hi! Just stopping by on the hop. I'm your newest follower. Have a great weekend!

Carmel @ Rabid Reads

Anonymous October 22, 2010 at 6:10 PM  

Hi, I must get around to reading Johnathon Strange and Mr Norrell.

#FF

It's a Book Thing October 23, 2010 at 12:51 PM  

Hi,

I can't say that I have yet read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel. I lok forward to reading the review.
Tarryn

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

So they say...

About Me

My Photo
Laura @ A Jane of All Reads
I read excessively and hoard books like a greedy dragon. Theoretically, I also plan to use them to barricade myself against the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

I accept books for review as long as they're good ones. Review Policy
View my complete profile

Appreciation

Because you took the time to visit, this is for you:

Blog contents © A Jane of All Reads 2011. Blogger Theme by NymFont. "Jane" avatar by Parajunkee.