So yeah...

I haven't been around much and I have a reason. Looking back it's probably not a good one as it was only affecting me but because of it I just haven't felt like blogging.

You see, on May 26th I paid a fellow book blogger $50 for a premade layout. Now that's not a lot of money but as I don't generally spend any money on my blog (I prefer to save it to spend on the actual books) it was kind of a big blog purchase for me. I chose this designer because of her work on a few other book blogger's blogs, one of which is very popular and since she did her site I felt she must be semi-trustworthy. Boy was I wrong.

The premade layout, which to me means that for the most part the layout is already done, was said to take only two weeks to complete. So I paid her in good faith. Two weeks go by and nothing. As a hint I email her about some images, presumably of these fabled premade layouts that I'd like to look at when possible, hoping it will remind her of our transaction and in response I get a very curt reply that she has other clients to take care of first. But I'm a client right? And I was given a time frame correct? OK so time goes by.....three months go by and I get an apologetic email about how she's over booked herself (I've gotten this email a few times) and blah blah blah here is a header. A header that is a hastily thrown together jumbled photoshop MESS that looks NOTHING like this designer's work which has always been lovely. Three months mind you. I inform her that the header is not exactly my style. Two weeks go by...and nothing. Finally I'm long passed being understanding and I'm frankly irritated because I've basically been screwed. It just took her THREE months to do it.

So I ask for a refund and she promises one by Friday....last Friday. It's now Thursday and I've been told that she will pay me when she pays me.

Yup.

All of this has left me really not wanting to have anything to do with my blog, which is wrong because I love it. What I really want to do is name the scam artist who is doing this to me because I would never want this to happen to any of you. But I have taken the high road throughout all of this and I'm trying to stay with it.

What I did in the meantime is pay another designer for a layout. A beautiful one that was delivered yesterday after ONE WEEK and I'm kicking myself for not using her first because her designs were exactly what I was looking for. I'll give her credit when I post the layout because I don't want someone wonderful to have to share a post with someone who is an unprofessional, unscrupulous, lying cheat. :)

The offender has just announced that she will no longer except design requests from bloggers because of the amount of work that goes into them. What work? She didn't have to lift a finger for mine and she still has my money. Just be cautious of who you deal with lovelies.

ANYWAY. I'll sit down this weekend and put up my beautiful new layout and post all the things piling up in my drafts and get on with it.

Thanks for letting me vent :)

17 thoughts?:

Splendibird August 26, 2010 at 8:08 AM  

I feel so bad for you - I don't have much money to put into my blog and, like you, need it for books anyway. $50 is a lot of money and I hope that you get it back. I'm looking forward to seeing your new design and really hope that you will keep posting as I always enjoy what you read. Keep your chin up!

Once Upon a Twilight August 26, 2010 at 8:12 AM  

Well if you are still looking for a designer. I recommend mines.

Her website is http://www.zipzogzoom.com/

and here is my blog so you can see what she did for me www.onceuponatwilight.com

If you do use her just tell her I sent you.

Sorry you got screwed by the other person.

Mari - Escape In A Book August 26, 2010 at 8:15 AM  

I'm mad on your behalf, what an awful thing to do. Seems like she must have spent the money since it's taking her so long to pay you back..

I've been wondering about ordering a new layout myself but now I'm not so sure if that is a good idea.

Fingers crossed that you get your money back!

Jennifer August 26, 2010 at 8:17 AM  

Always dangerous...

I've used Chick & Sassy (http://www.chicsassydesigns.blogspot.com/ ) and Two Scoopz (http://twoscoopz.com/about/) for stuff.
Great communication, I paid half up front (so they don't get screwed by putting in a lot of work and a client changing their mind) and the rest after I got EXACTLY what I wanted. And since I didn't really have a firm idea on what I wanted, those two ladies put in a lot of work.

I hope that you are happy with your new blog template!

Jillian August 26, 2010 at 8:34 AM  

Wow, that really sucks. I'm sorry you have to deal with that!

I used Danny's Dreamy Blog Designs. She did my layout and only paid $40 for it. She only took 3 days to create it and a minute to install. She now raised it up to $50, but I still think it's the best value around out there..

I hope you get fixed it soon!

Mrs. DeRaps August 26, 2010 at 8:36 AM  

This is good info...I have been thinking about paying to have mine done. If and when I do, maybe I'll run by you a few names/ sites. That way you don't have to name the person, you can just assure me that the person's not on my list.

Thanks for the heads-up. Too bad that there are dishonest people everywhere!

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read August 26, 2010 at 8:37 AM  

I'm so sorry to hear you got screwed. I mean, if you want to have a business and clients who can trust you, that's NOT the way to behave. That designer treated you badly. I'm sorry you had to learn the truth the hard way...

I'm glad the new designer proved to be wonderful. I'm looking forward to seeing what she made for you and who she is. Apparently, a good designer, that's for sure.

CHRISTIE August 26, 2010 at 9:24 AM  

I’m so sorry this happened to you. I’d be really angry too. On the bright side I can’t wait to see your new look. Hopefully the scammer refunds your money soon.

Amy August 26, 2010 at 10:04 AM  

I don't understand how people can be ignorant like that. I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this and I hope that person smartens up or closes their business completely. You don't make a promise to someone and then not follow through, especially if said someone has paid you expecting you to follow through on your promise!

Angiegirl August 26, 2010 at 11:01 AM  

I can't believe that! How horrible. Makes me so mad. I'm sorry it happened to you and I can't wait to see the lovely new design!

Sandy August 26, 2010 at 11:03 AM  

:( I think I know who you're talking about and I'm sorry that this person hasn't fufilled their side of the bargain. Hopefully they'll give you back your money soon.... but on a brighter note, yay for you returning to us! I'm looking forward to your new posts (and that new layout!)

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) August 26, 2010 at 11:14 AM  

I'm so sorry this turned into a bad experience for you. I'm looking forward to seeing your new layout!!!

Danny August 26, 2010 at 11:40 AM  

This sounds horrible!! I really feel bad for you.

As a general rule for all people that are thinking about a new layout: Normally the designer only requests a deposit to get you in their waiting line. The rest and the final payment is either requested once the layout is complete ( you should see the final layout on a test blog) or when the layout is installed on your blog.

This is how I do it, clients pay the deposit and I request the rest of the money once the layout is on the blog and the owner is happy. In this case both parts have a small risk but still in a way that no part feels bad.

I'm glad you found now a designer that got you a nice layout!

La Coccinelle August 26, 2010 at 4:02 PM  

Oh, that sucks. :(

But I'm looking forward to seeing your new layout!

Kathryn Rose August 27, 2010 at 12:54 PM  

So lame. Shame on people like that. But your site looks awful pretty right now. Can't wait to see what the new layout will look like! :)

Jennifer August 27, 2010 at 1:42 PM  

Wanted to let you know that I awarded you the "One lovely Blog Award" at
http://anabundanceofbooks.blogspot.com/2010/08/one-lovely-blog-award.html#comments

Have a great weekend!

Laura @ A Jane of All Reads August 28, 2010 at 8:34 AM  

Thank you all so much for your lovely comments! Just venting made me feel much better but your comments helped all that much more. Thank you for the referrals and letting people know about some TRUSTWORTHY designers to work with!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

So they say...

About Me

My Photo
Laura @ A Jane of All Reads
I read excessively and hoard books like a greedy dragon. Theoretically, I also plan to use them to barricade myself against the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

I accept books for review as long as they're good ones. Review Policy
View my complete profile

Appreciation

Because you took the time to visit, this is for you:

Blog contents © A Jane of All Reads 2011. Blogger Theme by NymFont. "Jane" avatar by Parajunkee.