84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff


84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff

Published by Penguin, 1990. Originally published: New York, Grossman, 1970

More at: Goodreads



"I houseclean my books every spring and throw out those I'm never going to read again like I throw out clothes I'm never going to wear again. It shocks everybody. My friends are peculiar about books. They read all the best sellers, they get through them as fast as possible, I think they skip a lot. And they NEVER read anything a second time so they don't remember a word of it a year later. But they are profoundly shocked to see me drop a book in the wastebasket or give it away. The way they look at it, you buy a book, you read it, you put in on the shelf, you never open it again for the rest of your life but YOU DON'T THROW IT OUT! NOT IF IT HAS A HARD COVER ON IT! Why not? I personally can't think of anything less sacrosanct than a bad book or even a mediocre book."

I am ill equipped to accurately convey my love for this slim volume, which is pretty much just a regrettably few handfuls of letters between the writer Helene Hanff and Frank Doel, an employee at Marks and Co., a bookshop in England. These letters tell of a wholly different sort of love affair, one about the love of books.

Let me first say that I've seen the movie 84, Charing Cross Road with Anne Bancroft as Helene Hanff countless times, and a long time before I ever read this book. But I loved the story then, and I love it even more so now- if that's even possible. Now, I can say that it is one of the very, very few movies that truly does a story justice.

Helene Hanff stumbled across an add for Marks & Co., a used book store in London and begins what will be a twenty year correspondence with the people in the shop, primarily Frank Doel. Her letters are her charismatic, funny requests for rare obscure English (and such) titles that she can't find locally or refuses to buy new. Her two decades of exchanges with Frank builds a unique friendship from across an ocean and portrays a love of books that anyone who loves literature can certain identify with. Helene understands the extreme emotions that a good, or awful book can elicit and how remarkably wonderful a life filled with them can be. Helene and Frank never meet.

It's a title that I sigh when I think about. Read it. You'll live with it forever.

"You'll be fascinated to learn (from me that hates novels) that I finally got round to Jane Austen and went out of my mind for Pride and Prejudice which I can't bring myself to take back to the library till you find me a copy of my own."

6 thoughts?:

Laura @ A Jane of All Reads August 28, 2010 at 3:26 PM  

Comments fixed!!

Sandy August 28, 2010 at 8:06 PM  

I saw! I wanted to comment earlier on your other post but I couldn't :/

So Frank and Helen never meet. I'm slightly saddened by this! But I'll try to find the movie version and see it...

Question: have you ever heard of Griffin & Sabine?

Holly August 28, 2010 at 11:14 PM  

Oh, this book! There's nothing like it. I love brazen, witty Helene. Her relationship with Frank is delightful. It's refreshing to see a movie that doesn't butcher the book.

Angiegirl August 29, 2010 at 9:45 PM  

I love that last line because it's so true. You will live with it forever. :)

Maricate September 10, 2010 at 6:24 AM  

Yes, the movie does absolute justice to the book. It was made with the same love found in the volume. ALWAYS one of my favorites, you can borrow my copy of the movie anytime...or check your Christmas stocking. mummy

Laura @ A Jane of All Reads September 10, 2010 at 7:12 AM  

Pirate- No. ????

Holly- I agree. Most movies fall short of the book. I think Anne Bancroft really captured Helene's spunk.

Angie- :)

Mum- Christmas please.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

So they say...

About Me

My Photo
Laura @ A Jane of All Reads
I read excessively and hoard books like a greedy dragon. Theoretically, I also plan to use them to barricade myself against the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

I accept books for review as long as they're good ones. Review Policy
View my complete profile

Appreciation

Because you took the time to visit, this is for you:

Blog contents © A Jane of All Reads 2011. Blogger Theme by NymFont. "Jane" avatar by Parajunkee.