In My Mailbox (18)


In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi @ The Story Siren in which we share the books we received for the week.

Sorry for the lack of updates! Things have been hectic on my end but never fear, I have read lots of wonderful things (and one not so wonderful) and I've actually written up some book thoughts that well be up next week. But today I want to share with you the lovelies that have come my way!


The Enemy by Charlie Higson
From Goodreads:
They'll chase you. They'll rip you open. They'll feed on you...When the sickness came, every parent, policeman, politician - every adult - fell ill. The lucky ones died. The others are crazed, confused and hungry. Only children under fourteen remain, and they're fighting to survive. Now there are rumours of a safe place to hide. And so a gang of children begin their quest across London, where all through the city - down alleyways, in deserted houses, underground - the grown-ups lie in wait. But can they make it there - alive?

This book was a gift from a book fairy. It's sounds like it's about zombies and I freakin' love zombies.


Because I Am Furniture by Thalia Chaltas
From Goodreads:
Anke’s father is abusive. But not to her. He attacks her brother and sister, but she’s just an invisible witness in a house of horrors, on the brink of disappearing altogether. Until she makes the volleyball team at school. At first just being exhausted after practice feels good, but as Anke becomes part of the team, her confidence builds. When she learns to yell “Mine!” to call a ball, she finds a voice she didn’t know existed. For the first time, Anke is seen and heard. Soon, she’s imagining a day that her voice will be loud enough to rescue everyone at home—including herself.

I recently joined a discussion group on goodreads dedicated to Penguin's Point of View books (Speak, Wintergirls, If I Stay, Thirteen Reasons Why, etc...) and ran across this book in the list. It looks to be a difficult book to read but hopefully one that needs to be read.


Nightshade by Andrea Cremer
From Goodreads:
While other teenage girls daydream about boys, Calla Tor imagines ripping out her enemies’ throats. And she wouldn’t have it any other way. Calla was born a warrior and on her eighteenth-birthday she’ll become the alpha female of the next generation of Guardian wolves. But Calla’s predestined path veers off course the moment she saves the life of a wayward hiker, a boy her own age. This human boy’s secret will turn the young pack's world upside down and forever alter the outcome of the centuries-old Witches' War that surrounds them all.

I'm sure you've seen this one floating around on the blogs. The cover is AMAZING. So far I've heard really good things about it.


Radiance by Alyson Noel
From Goodreads:
Riley Bloom left her sister, Ever, in the world of the living and crossed the bridge into the afterlife—a place called Here, where time is always Now. Riley and her dog, Buttercup, have been reunited with her parents and are just settling into a nice, relaxing death when she's summoned before The Council. They let her in on a secret—the afterlife isn't just an eternity of leisure; Riley has to work. She's been assigned a job, Soul Catcher, and a teacher, Bodhi, a curious boy she can't quite figure out.

Riley, Bodhi, and Buttercup return to earth for her first assignment, a Radiant Boy who's been haunting a castle in England for centuries. Many Soul Catchers have tried to get him to cross the bridge and failed. But he's never met Riley...

Though I was not thrilled enough with Blue Moon to read any further in The Immortals series, I enjoyed Noel's writing and a book from Riley's point of view sounds very intriguing. I'm halfway through it now.


It Happened One Autumn by Lisa Kleypas
From Goodreads:
It Happened at the Ball...

Where beautiful but bold Lillian Bowman quickly learned that her independent American ways weren't entirely "the thing." And the most disapproving of all was insufferable, snobbish, and impossible Marcus, Lord Westcliff, London's most eligible aristocrat.

It Happened in the Garden…

When Marcus shockingly -- and dangerously–swept her into his arms. Lillian was overcome with a consuming passion for a man she didn't even like. Time stood still; it was as if no one else existed…thank goodness they weren't caught very nearly in the act!

It Happened One Autumn...

Marcus was a man in charge of his own emotions, a bedrock of stability. But with Lillian, every touch was exquisite torture, every kiss an enticement for more. Yet how could he consider taking a woman so blatantly unsuitable…as his bride?

I had to get this because I am now a Lisa Kleypas groupie fangirl.


The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau
From Goodreads:
The city of Ember was built as a last refuge for the human race. Two hundred years later, the great lamps that light the city are beginning to flicker. When Lina finds part of an ancient message, she’s sure it holds a secret that will save the city. She and her friend Doon must decipher the message before the lights go out on Ember forever! This stunning debut novel offers refreshingly clear writing and fascinating, original characters.

Miz Amelia of The Authoress mentioned this book in a comment on my WoW post about Razorland and I looked it up and had to have it.


The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
From Goodreads:
The House on Mango Street tells the story of Esperanza Cordero, whose neighborhood is one of harsh realities and hard beauty. Esperanza doesn't want to belong - not to her rundown neighborhood, and not to the low expectations the world has for her. Esperanza's story is that of a young girl coming into her power, and inventing for herself what she will become.

Ran across this in a used bookstore. Though it is apparently required reading in some schools I seemed to have missed this one.


Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr
From Goodreads:
Unbeknownst to mortals, a power struggle is unfolding in a world of shadows and danger. After centuries of stability, the balance among the Faery Courts has altered, and Irial, ruler of the Dark Court, is battling to hold his rebellious and newly vulnerable fey together. If he fails, bloodshed and brutality will follow.

Seventeen-year-old Leslie knows nothing of faeries or their intrigues. When she is attracted to an eerily beautiful tattoo of eyes and wings, all she knows is that she has to have it, convinced it is a tangible symbol of changes she desperately craves for her own life.

The tattoo does bring changes; not the kind Leslie has dreamed of, but sinister, compelling changes that are more than symbolic. Those changes will bind Leslie and Irial together, drawing Leslie deeper and deeper into the faery world, unable to resist its allures, and helpless to withstand its perils. . . .

I devoured Wicked Lovely but have yet to read the rest of the series. I have no excuse! That's just bad!


The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer
From Goodreads:
When Sophy goes to stay with her cousins in Berkeley Square, she finds them in a sad tangle of affairs – some romantic and others of a more pecuniary nature. Perhaps the Grand Sophy has arrived just in time to save them.

I've visited my friend Georgette on two previous occasions and it was just time for us to have a chat again.


Artemis Fowl
From Goodreads:
Twelve-year-old Artemis is a millionaire, a genius and above all, a criminal mastermind. But Artemis doesn't know what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy, Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon Unit. These aren't the fairies of bedtime stories -- they're dangerous! Full of unexpected twists and turns, Artemis Fowl is a riveting, magical adventure.

Who hasn't read this series??? Me.


Ruined by Paula Morris
From Goodreads:
Rebecca couldn't feel more out of place in New Orleans, where she comes to spend the year while her dad is traveling. She's staying in a creepy old house with her aunt. And at the snooty prep school, the filthy-rich girls treat Rebecca like she's invisible. Only gorgeous, unavailable Anton Grey seems to give Rebecca the time of day, but she wonders if he's got a hidden agenda. Then one night, in Lafayette Cemetery, Rebecca makes a friend. Sweet, mysterious Lisette is eager to talk to Rebecca, and to show her the nooks and crannies of the city. There's just one catch: Lisette is a ghost.

A ghost with a deep, dark secret, and a serious score to settle.

As Rebecca learns more from her ghost friend -- and as she slowly learns to trust Anton Grey -- she also uncovers startling truths about her own history. Will Rebecca be able to right the wrongs of the past, or has everything been ruined beyond repair?

I bought a book about New Orleans because I was in New Orleans. If you've ever been and you've driven by the cemetery, then you understand why I was drawn to this book.

Have a wonderful week and I hope some book love arrived in your mailbox too!

11 thoughts?:

Jillian August 21, 2010 at 7:05 PM  

The Enemy sounds really good.. might pick that up at the library when I can. Great books this week. Looking forward to your reviews.

Amelia August 21, 2010 at 9:54 PM  

HOLA CHICADEE! It's been forEVER! *evil eye*

I LOVE the Artemis Fowl books! I have the entire series! Eoin Colfer is brilliant. Plain and simple.

THANK YOU! Someone else who wasn't head over heels for the Immortals series! Finally! I am not alonnnneee!

Oh! I've been wanting to pick up Ruined and nearly did at Borders two weeks ago but they only had one copy and it was warped. So, uh, NO. I'm the kind of freakazoid who pulls books from the back of the selection--the ones that haven't been mangled by the greater crowds. Sad, but true.

Yup, been seeing a lot of Nightshade lately. OH! I really want to read "Because I am Furniture". It looks super good.

Okay, I'm hyper!

Hasta luego!

-Amelia

PS - You scared me! Post at least once a week so we know you're ALIVE! Do it, too! Or else I'll sic my purple stuffed penguin on your goofy self. XD

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read August 22, 2010 at 2:24 AM  

Awesome new purchases! I am especially intrigued by "Ruined".

The Readings of a Busy Mom August 22, 2010 at 2:33 AM  

wow you got an awesome mailbox this week i hope you enjoy them all

Natascha De Marco August 22, 2010 at 7:35 AM  

Uuuuh Radiance IS good, you got some awesome books!

Cass August 22, 2010 at 7:36 AM  

I want to read BECAUSE I AM FURNITURE. It's a verse novel, correct? I must buy a copy. Also, Nightshade, Radiance and Ruined are all on my wishlist. Hope you enjoy them!

Anonymous August 22, 2010 at 8:34 AM  

Great, great haul! I wanna read them all! LOL

Enbrethiliel August 22, 2010 at 12:18 PM  

+JMJ+

So many great books!

It Happened One Autumn is an old favourite of mine. I love Lisa Kleypas!

I just got The City of Ember myself today. I'm really into underground settings these days, so it's a must-read for me.

You might not yet have started Artemis Fowl, but I haven't read beyond the first book!

My friend Georgette and I need to have another chat again, too. =P I almost read The Grand Sophy last year, when I bought a copy to give to a friend who is a Jane Austen afficionado. I'm a very gentle reader--physically, at least(LOL!)--so I often read books I buy for others and they don't know the difference. I didn't have the time for this one, though.

Anyway, enjoy your books! They all look great!

Lillie (AliseOnLife) August 22, 2010 at 12:34 PM  

Wow, that's a great mailbox!
Enjoy all of your books!

E.J. Stevens August 22, 2010 at 3:57 PM  

I enjoyed Ink Exchange. Great mailbox! My IMM Birthday Edition is here.

xx,
E.J
From the Shadows

Missy August 25, 2010 at 12:49 PM  

I am so with you on the Immortal series ... I stopped at Blue Moon as well. However, Riley was a great character, so I'm definitely going to have to check out her book!

Also, congratulations! I have chosen you for an award on my blog! Visit this post to accept the award!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

So they say...

About Me

My Photo
Laura @ A Jane of All Reads
I read excessively and hoard books like a greedy dragon. Theoretically, I also plan to use them to barricade myself against the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

I accept books for review as long as they're good ones. Review Policy
View my complete profile

Appreciation

Because you took the time to visit, this is for you:

Blog contents © A Jane of All Reads 2011. Blogger Theme by NymFont. "Jane" avatar by Parajunkee.