In My Mailbox (4)


In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi @ The Story Siren in which we share the books we received for the week.

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
From Goodreads: Meghan Chase has never fit in at her small-town high school, and now, on the eve of her 16th birthday, she discovers why. When her half brother is kidnapped, Meghan is drawn into a fantastical world she never imagined--the world of Faery, where anything you see may try to eat you, and Meghan is the daughter of the summer faery king. Now she will journey into the depths of Faery to face an unknown enemy . . . and beg the help of a winter prince who might as soon kill her as let her touch his icy heart. The Iron King is the first book in the Iron Fey series.


The Help by Kathryn Stockett
From Goodreads: Twenty-two-year-old Skeeter has just returned home after graduating from Ole Miss. She may have a degree, but it is 1962, Mississippi, and her mother will not be happy till Skeeter has a ring on her finger. Skeeter would normally find solace with her beloved maid Constantine, the woman who raised her, but Constantine has disappeared and no one will tell Skeeter where she has gone.

Aibileen is a black maid, a wise, regal woman raising her seventeenth white child. Something has shifted inside her after the loss of her own son, who died while his bosses looked the other way. She is devoted to the little girl she looks after, though she knows both their hearts may be broken.

Minny, Aibileen’s best friend, is short, fat, and perhaps the sassiest woman in Mississippi. She can cook like nobody’s business, but she can’t mind her tongue, so she’s lost yet another job. Minny finally finds a position working for someone too new to town to know her reputation. But her new boss has secrets of her own.

Seemingly as different from one another as can be, these women will nonetheless come together for a clandestine project that will put them all at risk. And why? Because they are suffocating within the lines that define their town and their times. And sometimes lines are made to be crossed.

In pitch-perfect voices, Kathryn Stockett creates three extraordinary women whose determination to start a movement of their own forever changes a town, and the way women—mothers, daughters, caregivers, friends—view one another. A deeply moving novel filled with poignancy, humor, and hope, The Help is a timeless and universal story about the lines we abide by, and the ones we don’t.


Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
From Goodreads: Melinda Sordino busted an end-of-summer party by calling the cops. Now her old friends won't talk to her, and people she doesn't even know hate her from a distance. The safest place to be is alone, inside her own head. But even that's not safe. Because there's something she's trying not to think about, something about the night of the party that, if she let it in, would blow her carefully constructed disguise to smithereens. And then she would have to speak the truth.

7 thoughts?:

Natasa April 18, 2010 at 5:35 PM  

Ooh, great batch for the week. Speak was a very emotional novel for me, I hope you like it.

I've had my eye on The Iron King for a while, but I haven't heard of The Help.. sounds interesting though, it's defo going on my tbr :)

prophecygirl April 18, 2010 at 5:48 PM  

The Iron King! Cool! Enjoy :)

~The Book Pixie April 18, 2010 at 5:57 PM  

I'm really wanting to read The Iron King. I've heard nothing but great things about it. I have Speak but haven't had the chance to read it yet. Hope you love your new books. :D

~Briana

Sandy April 18, 2010 at 6:01 PM  

Oooh, looks like you have a great haul! I really liked Speak; it was so brief but it's a powerful story. And the iron king! I haven't read it yet... I hope you enjoy your books :)

Christina T April 18, 2010 at 7:32 PM  

Speak was fantastic and I really liked the Iron King too. The Help is one I've got on my TBR list. Enjoy your reading!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog April 18, 2010 at 9:38 PM  

I've heard great things about all of these! enjoy!

Mari - Escape In A Book April 19, 2010 at 4:26 AM  

I want Iron King and The Help too!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

So they say...

About Me

My Photo
Laura @ A Jane of All Reads
I read excessively and hoard books like a greedy dragon. Theoretically, I also plan to use them to barricade myself against the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

I accept books for review as long as they're good ones. Review Policy
View my complete profile

Appreciation

Because you took the time to visit, this is for you:

Blog contents © A Jane of All Reads 2011. Blogger Theme by NymFont. "Jane" avatar by Parajunkee.