Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan


Will Grayson, Will Grayson
by John Green & David Levithan

Published April 5th 2011 by Speak
More at:
Goodreads
Website
Website

From Goodreads:
One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens—both named Will Grayson—are about to cross paths. As their worlds collide and intertwine, the Will Graysons find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history’s most fabulous high school musical.

Will Grayson is not gay but Tiny Cooper, his best friend since 5th grade, is most demonstrably so. Will tries to live his life by two simple rules: 1)Don't care too much and 2) Shut up. But being friends with someone who's bigger than life (quite literally, he's huge) has Will constantly struggling to follow his own rules.
Tiny Cooper is not the world's gayest person, and he is not the world's largest person, but I believe he may be the world's largest person who is really, really gay, and also the world's gayest person who is really, really large.

But Will Grayson is gay. His "best" friend, Maura, a thorn in his side and bane of his existence is not.
it's like those people who become friends in prison even though they would never really talk to each other if they weren't in prison. that's what maura and i are like, i think.
He doesn't have any set rules, because he's never really cared enough to adhere to any. He's never really cared much about anything until he meets Tiny Cooper.

Two very different Will Graysons who have nothing in common save their name and ultimately the force known as Tiny Cooper. Tiny has written a musical about his life, and Tiny's life is all about loooooovvvvveeeee. He has a pile of exes nearly as big as Tiny himself and he's constantly looking for the next "The One." His musical, aptly titled "Tiny Dancer" will pull the two Will Graysons so far out of each of their comfort zones that they'll never be able to go back. Nor would they want to.

I love, with all the love my heart can hold, this book. I love it so much I could read it again right now. I love it so much I would read it to you. How often do you stumble upon a gem of a book in which you adore nearly every character? I say nearly because I would have liked to tar and feather Maura. It was instant love between Will Grayson and I and a slow to kindle love that ended up blazing between myself and the other Will.

Unbelievably funny, overflowing with personality, all the while being completely real without hitting you with too much reality to ruin the story. Top it off with an ending to rival the perfection of any John Hughes 80's movie and you have LOVE.

If I had a magic bag that when anyone asked me, "Have you read any good books lately?" I could reach into it and pull out unlimited copies of this book, I'd give one out to everyone I know.

September 24-October 1 is the American Library Association's Banned Books Week and it's BAN THIS all month long over at Bites. John Green is the Author of Looking for Alaska, a wholly remarkable story that has forced bored soccer moms around the country to pretend to care about what their children read. Will Grayson, Will Grayson is a story of acceptance, both of oneself and of others. I've heard some flack about one of the scenes in this book, a very tame, nondescript and perfectly normal display of affection between two teenagers but I fear for the safety of this story since the teens in question are two males. I can only hope that anyone who would create a problem for this wonderful book would trip over their own stupidity and pray the fall shakes loose some sense.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

So they say...

About Me

My Photo
Laura @ A Jane of All Reads
I read excessively and hoard books like a greedy dragon. Theoretically, I also plan to use them to barricade myself against the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

I accept books for review as long as they're good ones. Review Policy
View my complete profile

Appreciation

Because you took the time to visit, this is for you:

Blog contents © A Jane of All Reads 2011. Blogger Theme by NymFont. "Jane" avatar by Parajunkee.