Waiting on Wednesday (8) Razorland by Ann Aguirre



Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill @ Breaking the Spine, in which we share the book that we are anxiously waiting to be released.

This tempting little book morsel doesn't come out until January! That's just evil! It sounds worth the wait though.


Razorland by Ann Aguirre
Published:January 4th 2011 by Feiwel & Friends
From Goodreads:
In Deuce’s world, individuals become adults—and earn the right to a name—only if they survive their first fifteen years. By this point, each unnamed ‘brat’ has trained into one of three groups: breeders, builders, or hunters. As the names imply, each group has definite roles to play for the survival of the group.

As a Huntress, Deuce’s purpose is clear—to roam the dangerous tunnels outside the enclave and bring back meat to feed the group while evading the ferocious humanoids known as Freaks. This has been the status quo for as far back as anyone can remember; this is, the elders tell everyone, the way it has to be. With the introduction of Fade, a male hunter a couple of years older than Deuce, who had been adopted into her enclave a few years earlier, she becomes aware of the hidden realities of the Orwellian society in which she was born. Deviation from the norm is punished quickly and harshly.

As Deuce’s perception of her world shifts, guided by her complex partnership with Fade, so does the balance in the constant battle for survival in the tunnels. The Freaks, considered dangerous only due to their sheer numbers and ferocious appetite, have long been held as incapable of any level of thought. And yet, as Fade and Deuce encounter them in the tunnels while in a reconnaissance mission to the nearest enclave, the creatures’ behavior is evidently cunning, and therefore more dangerous. It is evident that the danger is imminent, and yet Deuce cannot stem the dark tide that carries her far from the only world she's ever known.

6 thoughts?:

Nat July 28, 2010 at 10:21 AM  

This one sounds good! And I love your title and blog header!

Amelia July 28, 2010 at 12:15 PM  

Reminds me of City of Ember crossed with the Hunger Games. XD I love books like that though. (Actually, I didn't really like City of Ember.)

I've added this to my to-read list. But BLURG! I can't wait till NEXT YEAR to read it! Jeepers! Publishers LOVE to torture us! >.> Bleh.

XD Great pick!

-Amelia

Lily Michelon Rosenthal July 28, 2010 at 3:19 PM  

Love the sound of this book. The very fact that she's a Huntress sounds awesome -- I'd never heard anything about Razorland, and I'm glad I have.

Found you through WoW! Great blog.

Lily

Ava July 28, 2010 at 5:08 PM  

This book sounds really cool! Great pick, I can't wait until it comes out.

Laura @ A Jane of All Reads July 29, 2010 at 8:36 AM  

Kelli- Thank you!

Amelia- Oooh I don't know this City of Ember. Will have to look into it.

Lily- Thank you! Glad you stopped by. :)

Nat July 30, 2010 at 10:25 AM  

Forgot to tell you earlier that I have an award for you here:
http://idsoratherbereading.blogspot.com/2010/07/versatile-blogger-award.html

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

So they say...

About Me

My Photo
Laura @ A Jane of All Reads
I read excessively and hoard books like a greedy dragon. Theoretically, I also plan to use them to barricade myself against the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

I accept books for review as long as they're good ones. Review Policy
View my complete profile

Appreciation

Because you took the time to visit, this is for you:

Blog contents © A Jane of All Reads 2011. Blogger Theme by NymFont. "Jane" avatar by Parajunkee.