In My Mailbox (16)


In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi @ The Story Siren in which we share the books we received for the week.


Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl
From Goodreads:
Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she’s struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps, and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town’s oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.


Harmonic Feedback by Tara Kelly
From Goodreads:
Sixteen-year-old, music- and sound design-obsessed Drea doesn’t have friends. She has, as she’s often reminded, issues. Drea’s mom and a rotating band of psychiatrists have settled on a touch of Asperger’s.”

Having just moved to the latest in a string of new towns, Drea meets two other outsiders. And Naomi and Justin seem to actually like Drea. The three of them form a band after an impromptu, Portishead-comparison-worthy jam after school. Justin swiftly challenges not only Drea’s preference for Poe over Black Lab but also her perceived inability to connect with another person. Justin, against all odds, may even like like Drea.

It’s obvious that Drea can’t hide behind her sound equipment anymore. But just when she’s found not one but two true friends, can she stand to lose one of them?
In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.


The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
From Goodreads:
Bod is an unusual boy who inhabits an unusual place-he's the only living resident of a graveyard. Raised from infancy by the ghosts, werewolves, and other cemetery denizens, Bod has learned the antiquated customs of his guardians' time as well as their timely ghostly teachings-like the ability to Fade.

Can a boy raised by ghosts face the wonders and terrors of the worlds of both the living and the dead? And then there are things like ghouls that aren't really one thing or the other.

This chilling tale is Neil Gaiman's first full-length novel for middle-grade readers since the internationally bestselling and universally acclaimed Coraline. Like Coraline, this book is sure to enchant and surprise young readers as well as Neil Gaiman's legion of adult fans.


Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
From Goodreads:
Fat Charlie Nancy's normal life ended the moment his father dropped dead on a Florida karaoke stage. Charlie didn't know his dad was a god. And he never knew he had a brother.

Now brother Spider's on his doorstep -- about to make Fat Charlie's life more interesting... and a lot more dangerous.

13 thoughts?:

Amelia July 17, 2010 at 4:07 PM  

Hey, great grab this week! I absolutely adored "Beautiful Creatures". I hope you do too. :) Oh, and I can't wait to see what you think of "The Graveyard Book" and "Harmonic Feedback". I've heard a lot about Neil Gaiman but never read any of his books. And I've been meaning to read "Harmonic Feedback," too.

-Amelia
(who is kinda-sorta-really freaked out by the storms passing through o.o)

The Readings of a Busy Mom July 17, 2010 at 4:20 PM  

ooh you got some great stuff this week - I have Beautiful Creatures - a very cool red i hope you enjoy

prophecygirl July 17, 2010 at 5:20 PM  

Great week - I LOVED The Graveyard Book! Such a cool story. Hope you enjoy :)

Anonymous July 17, 2010 at 5:58 PM  

I got Beautiful Creatures this week! I can't wait to read it as part of The Amazing August Blog-A-Thon 2010 (An event I'm hosting over at my blog). Happy Reading :)

Orchid July 17, 2010 at 7:42 PM  

Oh my gosh, The Graveyard Books is beyond awesome. Beautiful Creatures and Harmonic Feedback sounds great. Happy reading. ^_^

Lillie (AliseOnLife) July 18, 2010 at 2:01 AM  

I think I am going to try out Harmonic Feedback, too. It sounds like an interesting novel.

Happy Reading!

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read July 18, 2010 at 3:30 AM  

Oh, yay, you have two Neil Gaiman books, NEAT! I have The Graveyard book, but have yet to get Anansi Boys. Happy reading!

Laura @ A Jane of All Reads July 18, 2010 at 7:44 AM  

It seems everyone has read Beautiful Creatures but me so I think I need to get on that. I'm also ashamed to admit that I haven't read The Graveyard book yet so it's also something that needs to be addressed immediately.

Thank you all for the comments- those lovely little tidbits make the red light go off on my blackberry and fill me with a ridiculous amount of joy. I appreciate each and every one.

~The Book Pixie July 18, 2010 at 9:41 AM  

Yep, you're the only one left who hasn't read Beautiful Creatures so get to it. lol. :P I still need to get my own copy of it; Harmonic Feedback is also on my wishlist. Happy reading. :D

~Briana

Candace July 18, 2010 at 11:40 AM  

Beautiful Creatures is awesome! I haven't read Neil Gaiman, oh yes, I read Coraline (that was by him, right?) but I've been thinking I need to read something by him (didn't like Coraline much though). I've heard good things about The Graveyard Book.

Casey (The Bookish Type) July 18, 2010 at 12:18 PM  

Wow! You've got some great ones this week! All of these are going on my (already too long) TBR list =) Thank you for sharing, I hope you enjoy them!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog July 18, 2010 at 8:12 PM  

I realllly want to read beautiful creatures! i can't believe the sequel is out soon, and i still haven't read the first!

Page (One Book At A Time) July 18, 2010 at 11:43 PM  

I loved Beautiful Creatures! The Graveyard Book was really good as well. I've seen Harmonic Feedback a lot lately. Need to check it out!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

So they say...

About Me

My Photo
Laura @ A Jane of All Reads
I read excessively and hoard books like a greedy dragon. Theoretically, I also plan to use them to barricade myself against the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

I accept books for review as long as they're good ones. Review Policy
View my complete profile

Appreciation

Because you took the time to visit, this is for you:

Blog contents © A Jane of All Reads 2011. Blogger Theme by NymFont. "Jane" avatar by Parajunkee.