Smart Chicks Kick It @ Lemuria Books, Jackson, MS



The Smart Chicks Kick It Tour, featuring Melissa Marr, Cassandra Clare, Kelley Armstrong, Sarah Rees Brennan, Holly Black, Alyson Noel and Jessica Verday stopped in Jackson, MS Thursday and I was lucky enough to get to attend. Having never been to a book signing before, I wasn't quite sure what to expect but the staff from Lemuria Books, who organized the event, managed every thing so smoothly that the experience was a delight.

The ladies conducted a very entertaining question and answer session, and were all very friendly and open with their answers. It was a smallish group of readers so I think that made for a much more relaxed environment. And there were some book bloggers there as well! Jessilyn from Jessica's Vision and Mandy from The Well-Read Wife.





I instantly liked Kelley Armstrong, who for some reason reminded me of my mum (which is a compliment) and I couldn't help wanting to both hug her and pick a fight with her at the same time. When some brave soul from the audience asked if the authors ever found themselves struggling when writing YA when it came to a racy scene and if they ever said "No, I can't write that. It's too racy." she said No, she enjoyed it. Good for her :)



There was a question about writer's block which got some very interesting answers. Sarah Rees Brennan (who is outrageously funny) advised that when she gets to a point in her story where she's in danger of boredom, she finds it helpful to have her characters kill someone or either make out with someone, and in times of desperation, make out with a corpse. :) Melissa Marr handles writer's block by getting in the bathtub and sitting underwater with her snorkel. She was so nice and friendly (and has spectacular hair) I was waiting in the signing line for the next author and she just struck up a conversation with me and talked about the tour.

I behaved myself when I met Cassandra Clare, and didn't go all crazed fan girl on her, even when she told us that the book that inspired her to write was Pride and Prejudice. She was kind enough to have a chat with me about Jessamine, a character in her latest book Clockwork Angel. She had a purple streak in her red hair which equals awesome. I'm so glad I went and that I got to meet them all.

And I came away with PHAT LOOTZ!




Smart Chicks Kick It Tour
Lemuria Books
Visit Jessica's Vision for better photos. (I forgot my camera and had to use BB)

2 thoughts?:

Melissa September 18, 2010 at 12:23 PM  

1) You're in Mississippi? Cool. (Though that probably means I should keep my opinions about the state to myself... :-D)
2) *jealous* Wish that the Smart Chicks tour came somewhere I could have gone.
3) Thanks for the post. Next best thing to going.

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) September 18, 2010 at 2:28 PM  

Soooooo jealous! I wanted to go but couldn't get time off from work (it's about a 3 hour drive from here). Glad you had fun, thanks for posting and the pics!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

So they say...

About Me

My Photo
Laura @ A Jane of All Reads
I read excessively and hoard books like a greedy dragon. Theoretically, I also plan to use them to barricade myself against the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

I accept books for review as long as they're good ones. Review Policy
View my complete profile

Appreciation

Because you took the time to visit, this is for you:

Blog contents © A Jane of All Reads 2011. Blogger Theme by NymFont. "Jane" avatar by Parajunkee.