Bookwork 09/05 and a note on Shiver


Ok, this is a total no-no BUT the fact of the matter is, I wrote my review of Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater at work and well...I washed it. Here's the thing. I didn't like the book enough to sit down and write another review of it. That's all kinds of wrong but the book was barely a three for me, and that goes to Ms. Stiefvater's writing and use of language which is beautiful and very melodic. The story on the other hand, bored me to tears. It was promising until half way through where I felt if I had to read ANOTHER description of Sam dropping Grace off to school in the Bronco I would have to permanently subtract IQ points. Sorry. I know it was a big to-do book and while it was very original (as original as vampires and werewolves can be in this Twilight age) it was boring and drawn out. There you have it. When I wrote the review I had to really struggle with my feelings about the book. It was one of those that the reader is expected to like given the hype and wealth of good reviews. It just wasn't for me.

So I picked up Catching Fire by Ms. Suzanne Collins and I am almost finished devouring it. You WILL get a review of that one. I owe it a bit of thanks too because it made me realize something about my lack of reading here lately and I have discovered that it's not that I'm not really reading much these days, it's just that I'm reading things that suck. I made myself finish Shiver and it took two weeks. I'm making myself read the second Sookie Stackhouse book and so far I don't like it. With Catching Fire I want to drop everything and read read read. There's the difference. It's a great book and the other books I've been making myself endure have not been. So go and buy it, read it, love it, live it and miss it.

That's not my review though :P

My first contest went well. I had far more entries than I ever thought I would and I now have 73 followers who all exhibit various different traits of awesomeness. I do appologize for my lack of involvement in the book blogging community here lately. I'm a new RN, and it's kicking my butt just as my instructors said it would. It's been difficult trying to balance work life and book life when work life takes up 80% and I have to sleep sometime. So thank all of you for sticking with me.

So if you've been reading my blog you know I tend to be rather direct in my book thoughts. I can be a bit verbally abusive when a book lets me down and I tend to hold book grudges. Like the one I hold against Stephanie "T" Meyer for her butchering of the Twilight saga when she wrote Breaking Dawn. Books in a series that disappoint seem to get more abuse than stand alone stories. Having said that, there is no cause for book violence, children. For every book we feel is bad, there is a reader out there who will love it, appreciate it's existance and take away someting valuable from the story. On my shelf are several books that are neglected and unappreciated. Poor pitiful, lonely little things that want only to be read and enjoyed. In an effort to match LA Jane declared "bad" books with owners who will rehabilitate them and love them, I am opening the:

The No Kill Book Shelter for Books I Didn't Like

Support for the No Kill Book Shelter comes from readers like you. Once every few weeks a lonely little book will find it's way into the shelter where it will have an opportunity to be matched with a new owner who will love it. Requirements for adoption will be standard contest entry stuff.

As of right now there are three books living in the shelter (who are they??), awaiting adoption. Details soon.

1 thoughts?:

Jenny Girl October 24, 2009 at 10:12 PM  

Congrats on beign a new RN. I work in health care but certainly not patient care, so more power to you sweetie.

As far as Meyer goes...the more distance I put between my self and the books the more my opinion changes. I actually think all the hype has negatively impacted my opinion. If that makes any sense.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

So they say...

About Me

My Photo
Laura @ A Jane of All Reads
I read excessively and hoard books like a greedy dragon. Theoretically, I also plan to use them to barricade myself against the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

I accept books for review as long as they're good ones. Review Policy
View my complete profile

Appreciation

Because you took the time to visit, this is for you:

Blog contents © A Jane of All Reads 2011. Blogger Theme by NymFont. "Jane" avatar by Parajunkee.