The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan


     I was angry, not just with Annabeth or her mom, but with all the gods for this whole quest, for getting us blown off the road and in two major fights the very first day out from camp. at this rate, we'd never make it to L.A. alive, much less before the summer solstice.
     What had Medusa said?
     Do not be a pawn of the Olympians, my dear. You would be better off as a statue.
     I got up. "I'll be back."
     "Percy," Annabeth called after me. "what are you-"
     I searched the back of the warehouse until I found Medusa's office. Her account book showed her six most recent sales, all shipments to the Underworld to decorate Hades and Persephone's garden. According to one freight bill, the Underworld's billing address was DOA Recording Studios, West Hollywood, California. I folded up the bill and stuffed it in my pocket.
     In the cash register I found twenty dollars, a few golden drachmas, and some packing slips for Hermes Overnight Express, each with a little leather bag attached for coins. I rummaged around the rest of the office until I found the right-size box.
     I went back to the picnic table, packed up Medusa's head, and filled out a delivery slip:

The Gods
Mount Olympus
600th Floor,
Empire State Building
New York, NY

With best wishes,
PERCY JACKSON

Percy Jackson simply can't stay out of trouble. He's been kicked out of six schools and in just a moment, he's going to get kicked out of his current one. Odd things just seem to happen around Percy, things that can't be explained or even believed but Percy never fails to get the blame for them. When he accidentally causes the evaporation of his math teacher with an ink pen, it occurs to Percy that the things happening to him may be more than just rotten luck.
Following his most recent expulsion, Percy and his mother take an impromptu trip to the shore, a place that his mother has always had a fondness for. It was at the seaside that she fell in love with and had a one time whirlwind romance with Percy's father, a man he has never met and who his mother won't tell him anything about. Their trip is cut short by your average random Minotaur attack that leaves his mother missing and Percy, at his mother's command, running for the safety of Half Blood Camp, a sanctuary for children who are in the same unique situation as Percy- they are the children of gods.

I loved this book! It was cute and funny and very entertaining. Can't help but compare it to Harry Potter but I don't feel that it was merely riding on HP's coat-tails so to speak since this book had a feel that was very much it's own. For one thing your heart doesn't break for Percy the way it did for Harry, so so far, no tears. I love that it is based on Greek Mythology. Who didn't love studying the Greek myths in school? I think that spin, along with it being a great children's/young adult adventure fantasy, really adds to it's appeal. Percy kicks butt and shows no fear, just as a hero should. The story is written with a great sense of humor, making it just a really great read. Totally on board to read the next one and I can't wait for the movie!!

4 thoughts?:

Natascha De Marco August 12, 2009 at 10:03 PM  

Hehe read the next ones, soo good!

Lizzy August 18, 2009 at 2:51 PM  

I just saw the preview for the movie, and while I haven't read the books I need to!

Bookie00 January 3, 2010 at 8:44 PM  

Gesh, cant even begin to explain how much I lvoe this series. Sure, it's kind of cheesy and probably more for younger kids, but it's adorable! I'm totally pumped to see the movie!

Jennifer September 6, 2010 at 3:45 AM  

I included a link to your review in my Lightning Thief post.

http://anabundanceofbooks.blogspot.com/2010/08/book-review-lightning-thief-percy.html

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

So they say...

About Me

My Photo
Laura @ A Jane of All Reads
I read excessively and hoard books like a greedy dragon. Theoretically, I also plan to use them to barricade myself against the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

I accept books for review as long as they're good ones. Review Policy
View my complete profile

Appreciation

Because you took the time to visit, this is for you:

Blog contents © A Jane of All Reads 2011. Blogger Theme by NymFont. "Jane" avatar by Parajunkee.