In My Mailbox (9)


In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi @ The Story Siren in which we share the books we received for the week.


Fire by Kristin Cashore
From Goodreads:
Fire, Graceling's prequel-ish companion book, takes place across the mountains to the east of the seven kingdoms, in a rocky, war-torn land called the Dells.

Beautiful creatures called monsters live in the Dells. Monsters have the shape of normal animals: mountain lions, dragonflies, horses, fish. But the hair or scales or feathers of monsters are gorgeously colored-- fuchsia, turquoise, sparkly bronze, iridescent green-- and their minds have the power to control the minds of humans.

Seventeen-year-old Fire is the last remaining human-shaped monster in the Dells. Gorgeously monstrous in body and mind but with a human appreciation of right and wrong, she is hated and mistrusted by just about everyone, and this book is her story.

Wondering what makes it a companion book/prequel? Fire takes place 30-some years before Graceling and has one cross-over character with Graceling, a small boy with strange two-colored eyes who comes from no-one-knows-where, and who has a peculiar ability that Graceling readers will find familiar and disturbing...


The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor
From Goodreads:
The Myth: Alice was an ordinary girl who stepped through the looking glass and entered a fairy-tale world invented by Lewis Carroll in his famous storybook.
The Truth: Wonderland is real. Alyss Heart is the heir to the throne, until her murderous aunt Redd steals the crown and kills Alyss' parents. To escape Redd, Alyss and her bodyguard, Hatter Madigan, must flee to our world through the Pool of Tears.
But in the pool Alyss and Hatter are separated. Lost and alone in Victorian London, Alyss is befriended by an aspiring author to whom she tells the violent, heartbreaking story of her young life. Yet he gets the story all wrong.
Hatter Madigan knows the truth only too well, and he is searching every corner of our world to find the lost princess and return her to Wonderland so she may battle Redd for her rightful place as the Queen of Hearts.

13 thoughts?:

Gaby G May 22, 2010 at 9:55 AM  

I loved Fire!
Enjoy your reading..

Amber Skye May 22, 2010 at 9:59 AM  

I really enjoyed both of these books! Hope you like them :)

Kris May 22, 2010 at 9:59 AM  

Those are 2 good ones!

Emma May 22, 2010 at 10:37 AM  

Fire and Graceling are some of my favorites! have fun!

Morgan May 22, 2010 at 2:23 PM  

Great books! I really enjoyed Fire.

Sandy May 22, 2010 at 7:19 PM  

I have to read Graceling soon...

and nice layout change! I watched Pride & Prejudice again today; plus I watched Becoming Jane and it was such a good movie! It was just very bittersweet D:

I love Lizzie's choice of reading material-very scandolous for someone of that age, lol.

Spellboundbybooks Mel May 23, 2010 at 4:04 AM  

Fantastic books for this week. Fire is totally awesome I hope you enjoy reading that. I haven't heard of the second book though so hope you enjoy that as well!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide May 23, 2010 at 5:19 PM  

I do want to try Fire!

Here is mine

prophecygirl May 23, 2010 at 5:19 PM  

Great books with great covers! Hope you enjoy them both :)

Alayne May 24, 2010 at 9:28 AM  

I have The Looking Glass Wars as well but haven't read it yet. My mailbox is at The Crowded Leaf.

Jenny Girl May 26, 2010 at 8:17 PM  

Looking forward to your thoughts on the Looking Glass Wars. I was not crazy about it.

Laura @ A Jane of All Reads May 27, 2010 at 7:44 AM  

Oh please read Graceling and Fire if you can. It's an experience you'll never forget or get over.

Penguin- I loved becoming Jane. Such a sweet movie. I watched a version of Persuasion on Sunday that was less than good but still Jane enough to keep me happy.

Prophecygirl- Good book covers get me everytime. I'm a shallow reader.

AshleeRae May 28, 2010 at 1:57 PM  

I loved THE LOOKING GLASS WARS. It was even the first full book my husband read and he loved the entire series too (I've since gotten him to read the Eragon series as well as the Harry Potter series - that's right, I turned to my geekish ways ;) haha). But anyway, you'll love it, I'm that sure of myself :D

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

So they say...

About Me

My Photo
Laura @ A Jane of All Reads
I read excessively and hoard books like a greedy dragon. Theoretically, I also plan to use them to barricade myself against the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

I accept books for review as long as they're good ones. Review Policy
View my complete profile

Appreciation

Because you took the time to visit, this is for you:

Blog contents © A Jane of All Reads 2011. Blogger Theme by NymFont. "Jane" avatar by Parajunkee.